Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hosting, Or how I learned to stop worrying and embrance chaos

Internet hosts - the new snake oil salesmen. Trying to find a reasonably priced, reliable, good tech support host is like trying to find Shangra La.
Our first experience was with a
host I knew from previous experience to be fairly reliable. Didn't do so well, however, it did turn out they had a server meltdown, so benefit of the doubt and all we're moving back there.
But our current host is bloody useless. Constant database errors, useless tech support. In fact the last issue I resolved myself but they were kind enough to send me an email telling me the issue was fixed now. REALLY!!!!!!!!! Damn glad you told me. Word to the wise NEVER pay for more than a month at a time. We are losing about 200 dollars over this which none of us is in a position to do. Who is really?And so now I have to take avantage of the extremely kind tech god Steve and have him go through all the ups and downs of file and database transfers. I feel fortunate to have such kind and understanding board members who are of course also friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home